What the hell does damaged hair means? Dry, dull, split ends, brittle, high porosity etc. are all one and the same with damaged hair. There are many factors that can lead to this but, don’t fret, we can help you fix it. In this post, you`ll learn more on the causes, what to do if you have damaged hair: how to repair and prevent future hair damage and more.
How to tell your hair is damaged- signs of damaged hair
Damaged hair tends to have different characteristics depending on the underlying blamed factors. The most obvious symptoms of damaged hair are the rough texture, dry and brittle and high porosity characteristics. Usually, the physical appearance of the hair may not exactly reveal its health status, there wide range of factors to consider. Generally, here the common symptoms of damaged hair:
- Dry, brittle and lack moistures
- Split ends
- Easily knots
- Fragile and dry hair
- Difficult to comb
- Lack of elasticity
- Highly porous
- Unruly tangles
There are also more symptoms that often signifies severely damaged hair. According to growhairguru.com, “Things like color absorption, fading, sponginess and tangling of wet hair, are also linked to porous hair, but are worse. Such severe damage can only be solved through treatment and continuing care during styling.”
To effectively fix your damaged hair, early detection is the key. As soon as you discover the above symptoms, you should immediately visit trustworthy salon and be instructed by professional about ways to fix it and whether to cut it short. All the procedures to fix damaged hair depends on the underlying causative factors and the severity of situation at hand.
Let us now explore the most common causes of damaged hair and we`ll also talk about the treatments shortly.
Causes of damaged hair – why is my hair damaged
Causes of hair damages are numerous, they can be just simple for instance if you not really being kind to your hair by providing poor care. Damaged hair can also be a symptom of underlying medical conditions. So generally, before applying color, moisturizers or conditioners, you must analyze the condition of your hair before commencing the services. See the common causes for hair damage.
Mechanical damage is one of the major obvious factors contribute a lot towards attaining a damaged hair. Whenever hair is exposed to extreme tension, it tends to pull out from its follicles though the most affected part is the visible shaft. Extensive combing or brushing or use of hair curler etc. are potent to cause hair damage and hair loss.
Chemically damaged hair
Chemical treatments also play a role in developing a hair damage. Such chemicals involve coloring, bleaching and frizzing services. These chemicals are very dreadful for instance, frizzing chemicals often break down the bonds which hold together the polypeptide chains of keratin. So exposure to this chemicals can lead to extremely damaged hair and scalp.
Heat damaged hair
It is absolute that every woman wants beauty in spite of the hard way of achieving it as the end result. Blow drying, curling iron, dry hoods usually results to hair damage. Heating of hair during using these gadgets to straighten hair can burn or blow the hair. At the same time, the scalp skin may get burned resulting to damages in hair follicles.
It is also important to note that, heat usually breaks down the temporary bonds which holds together the keratin chains.
Environmental factors including UV light, salt and chlorine can also trigger hair damage. They have the potential to break down the bonds within the hair structure. Sun burn also result to dry and brittle hair which is prone to damages. Climatic conditions can also contribute to hair damage. “A humid environment opens up pores and cuticles leaving them exposed to damaging influences,” explains a certain medical study.
Neglecting dry hair conditioner
Most people ignore the use of hair conditioner which may be the main factor that is dominating their damaged hair. Hair conditioners ensure that the hair is nourished and it grows without any hindrances. If it is not conditioned, your will not have the optimum requirements for hair growth thus the hair becomes damaged. “By using conditioners that are pH balanced, protein enriched and moisture restoring, you can smooth the cuticle layer and protect the hair shaft from further damage,” advises hairfinder.com.
Friction is another culprit to damaging the hair. Extreme exposure of hair when trying to get the best hairstyle especially ponytail may result to tension. During sleeping, combing or brushing, friction can also result causing hair damage. Talk to your salon’s expert on how to reduce hair friction.
Good diet is a very vital factor for healthy hair. “A healthy hair needs plenty of water to draw its moist from and plenty of protein rich foods to help it maintain a healthy structure,” explains natureword.com. Essential fats should be included in the diet since they are responsible for hair growth, beautification and nourishment. See your nutritionist for advice on better diet.
Hair damage can also be an indication of underlying health disorder. Proper diagnosis should be done to define the underlying health problem so as to be sorted out faster. Certain medications i.e. birth control treatments can also affect the health of your hair. There are good medications your GP will prescribed depending on the underlying health issues.
Best dry hair treatment and home remedies for damaged hair
There are many products and procedures available at home that can help fix hair damage problems. They are inexpensive and readily available at the comfort of our home. In case you battle with damaged hair, try these remedies:
This is one of the remedies that can effectively help as best treatment for damaged hair. It contains nutrients, enzymes, amino acids, vitamin C and E that help in nourishing the hair as well as repairing the damaged tissues. It also has humectant properties that can aid the restoration of the hair shafts. Use the procedure below for application:
- Mix four tablespoons of Aloe Vera gel with two tablespoons of coconut oil and three spoons of plain yogurt
- Stir them to form a thick paste
- Apply it directly on your hair
- Leave it for about 30 minutes then rinse and wash with a mild shampoo
- Repeat the procedure twice a week
Another remedy for damaged hair is olive oil. It contains fatty acids, vitamin E as well as antioxidants. These ingredients aid in healing process by covering the cuticle with moisture thus preventing further damage. They also ensure that the scalp is under optimum conditions of moisture for the hair to grow.
- Apply a little amount of olive oil on your hair and scalp using your fingers
- Massage it properly to ensure that it spread out evenly
- Cover with a warm towel and leave it for half an hour
- Shampoo and condition your hair
- Do this for a week for amazing results
Have you tried coconut oil on your skin conditions and seen how excellent it performs? Give it a trial today. Coconut oil contains many nutrients that nourish the hair besides preventing the cuticle from further damage. It is also responsible for healthy hair.
- Mix three tablespoons of warm coconut oil with a quarter cup of honey
- Stir them thoroughly to form a thick paste and apply it on your hair
- Rinse off with warm water and repeat the procedure twice a week
Honey is a widely used remedy that can also be applied to treat hair damage. It has nourishing effects due to the nutrients contained in it. It works by fostering moisture retention in your hair cuticles hence making them softer and healthy.
- Mix a quarter cup of organic raw honey with enough water to dilute it
- Damp your hair and then apply the diluted honey
- Allow it to sit for half an hour
- Rinse it out using warm water
- Repeat this two times a week
Banana can be a very nice remedy to apply on a damaged hair. It contains ingredients like fortifying vitamins, potassium, vitamins and natural oils that help in nourishing the scalp and the hair. Its moisturizing properties ensure that the hair remains softened to prevent it from breaking thus curbing hair damaging.
- Mash a ripe banana in a bowl
- Apply it on your hair and massage it thoroughly
- Allow it to sit for about one hour
- Rinse it off using lukewarm water
- Do this thrice a week until an improvement is noted
Eggs are proteins in nature and are useful in the body to repair damaged hair. They provide nutrients that are responsible for nourishment of the hair. It contains other minerals and essentials fats that can nourish the hair strands leaving the hair shafts natural and shiny. Moreover, enzymes contained in the egg whites promote hair cleansing.
- Beat two eggs together in a bowl
- Apply them on your scalp and hair and massage thoroughly
- Cover the hair with a shower cap and leave it for 20 minutes
- Rinse the residue off with cool water and shampoo your hair
- If this is repeated in twice in two week then excellent results will be achieved
Another remedy for damaged hair is avocado. It contains nutrients, vitamins, proteins, natural oils, essential fatty acids and fats that take part in repairing a hair damage. In addition, Avocado coats the cuticles to prevent further loss of moisture. It also softens the hair. “It can also prevent radical damage to your hair in the future,” [top10homeremedies.com].
- To a half pulp add one ripe avocado as per your hair length
- Add one to two teaspoons of olive oil and blend them to form a thin paste
- Apply this on your hair and let it sit for an hour or so
- Wash the residue off
- Repeat the steps twice a week
Hair damage is a common occurrence that can be dealt with in a simple way as we have discussed before. The only worry is that, sometimes it can be a symptoms of serious underlying health problems. So, in case you are not sure of the cause of your problem, you can visit a doctor for examination and proper damaged hair treatment.
You should also stop applying OTC treatments or over home remedies if the conditions worsens or persist.
- 9 WAYS TO REPAIR, TREAT & FIX DAMAGED HAIR: https://www.matrix.com/blog/9-ways-to-repair-treat-and-fix-damaged-hair
- Natural Help for Dry or Damaged Hair: http://www.webmd.com/beauty/ss/slideshow-dry-hair
- 5 Things You Are Doing To Damage Your Hair: http://www.self.com/story/5-things-you-are-doing-to-dama
- The 4 Major Causes of Hair Damage: https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/home/the-4-major-causes-of-hair-damage/
- 13 Home Remedies for Dry and Damaged Hair: http://www.rd.com/health/beauty/home-remedies-for-dry-damaged-hair/
- Home Remedies for Damaged Hair: http://www.top10homeremedies.com/home-remedies/home-remedies-damaged-hair.html
- 5 Ways To Tell If Your Hair Is Damaged — & How To Fix It: http://www.refinery29.com/how-to-fix-damaged-hair
- 7 Signs of Damaged Hair: http://www.livestrong.com/article/59728-signs-damaged-hair/