Do you experience dry scalp that sometimes becomes itchy? Is your dry scalp accompanied by hair loss? Is it dry scalp or other conditions that cause your scalp hair loss? Let`s see the causes and connection between dry scalp and hair loss. We`ll also dwell on the effective ways to get rid of dry scalp and hair.
Can dry scalp syndrome cause loss of hair?
Dry scalps are usually itchy and irritating, this can initiate scratching which may aggravate the situation. Though there are different causes for dry scalp, the symptoms may be virtually the same. Dry scalp is a common problem to many people especially Americans. Dry scalp causes include harsh hair care products, dehydration, climatic conditions, stress and anxiety and medical conditions such as psoriasis, eczema and fungus among many others.
So, you been wondering whether dry scalp can really contribute to your hair loss, yes it can but in rare cases does dry scalp cause hair loss. However, hair loss causes have wide range that involve issues to do with skin disorders, scalp infections, hormonal disorders, and certain medications especially those used to treat cancer, arthritis, depression, heart failures and birth control.
Having explained all these, the good news is that, there are many ways to heal dry scalp and stop further hair loss. We`ll discuss them later in this article. Now, you major concern is how dry scalp causes hair loss right? Good, just scroll below to explore the whole theory.
How dry scalp causes hair loss
Already we have confirmed that dry scalp can lead to hair loss, so our next move is to see how this happens. You will have dry scalp if the moisture content of your scalp is depleted, I hope you know that? Dry scalp may then be extremely itchy and this will definitely urge you to scratch it, and scratching is the beginning of the whole jeopardy! It will may cause some hair to fall out.
Alternatively, scratching may damage the scalp skin leading to formations of wounds or scalp sores. As those wounds or sores will tend to heal, they will form scabs that if picked, may come out with some hair. Fortunately, hair loss due to scratching is normally temporary.
What about if the resultant wounds get infected? This will lead to severe condition that may result to large amount of hair loss. As we have laid before, there are many ways you can employ to manage both dry scalp and hair loss. These includes medical treatments and natural remedies.
Best treatment for dry scalp and hair loss
Dry scalp and hair loss disorders are short-term conditions that vanish immediately you cooperate in addressing them with the right medications. Shampoos for dry scalp can eliminate dryness on your scalp by nourishing the scalp and thus making the hair follicle healthier and stronger, this will limit hair loss. Below are the recommended shampoos that will help you relieve dry scalp hair loss:
Best Shampoos for Dry Scalp and Hair Loss
1. Bossley Boss Revive Nourishing Shampoo for Visibly Thinning Hair.
This shampoo contains a variety of ingredients that include saw palmetto, among others. It ensures that you don’t suffer hair loss or dryness. It is advantageous in thickening and leaving your hair silky with a nice fragrance. Note this, this therapy should not be used by persons with color treated hair.
2. Phytoworx Organic Hair Loss Shampoo for Hair Recovery and Regrowth.
Phytoworx shampoo is herbal-based regimen made from the stem cells and other plant ingredients such as Eucalyptus Oil, Tea Tree Leaves and peppermint. These ingredients are known to nourish the scalp, thicken the hair, and recover it from hair thinning by enhancing its regrowth within a span of weeks. It should be used alongside other shampoos or hair conditioners for excellent results.
3. Avalon Organics Thickening Shampoo
This shampoo has saw palmetto, biotin, wheat protein, and vitamins as its ingredients. “This product reduces oiliness, promotes hair growth, and reduces dandruff,” says hairguidecureguide.com. Most individuals can account for the amazing performance by this shampoo. It will leave the hair thickened than before with no oiliness or even flake. As it is the case in Phytoworx organic shampoo, Avalon should be used together with a good conditioner.
4. Neutrogena T/Gel Shampoo
This is a worldwide therapy known to treat dry scalp disorders overtime. Many customers who have tried it Neutrogena have testified about its amazing potentials. It contains neuter solubilized coal tar extract, macrogol lauryl ether, sodium chloride, purified water among other ingredients, all for relieving dryness, removing dandruffs on your scalp as well as beautifying your hair. If you find yourself allergic to this shampoo, seek medical attention immediately.
5. Nizoral Dandruff Shampoo
I know this might appear strange but I bet you will like the way it will perform awesomely results. Nizoral Shampoo contains ketoconazole that treats dandruffs hence eliminating minor disorders like dryness and hair loss. It also has a light scent that leaves your once foul smelly hair smelling nice again. For acute conditions, doctor’s advice will help you.
There are a variety of shampoos and treatments for dry scalp hair loss including salicylic acid based shampoos, Gels, Creams and Lotions that have flooded various markets but, getting the right one for your condition might be thought-provoking. Take precautions on what you apply on your head, probably it may cause other hazardous conditions than you could imagine. If an irritation crops up after applying a certain regimen, discontinue it immediately and see the doctor for examination.
Home remedies or treatment for dry scalp and hair loss
Natural remedies can be used alternatively to treat your conditions alongside securing you from getting the problem in future. May be you have tried different treatments in vain, thank heavens, here are cheaper means of bringing your problems to an end. Described below are some natural home remedies you can use to treat and prevent dry scalp and hair loss:
i. Coconut oil
This is a natural remedy that assist you push away this problem of dryness and prevalent hair loss. It works by creating a barrier that aids in making the skin remain moisturized and healthy and hence relieving dryness. For application,
- Wash your scalp and apply a little coconut oil gently on your scalp.
- After half an hour or so, wash it off using a shampoo that is not perfumed.
- This should be repeated for at least three times a week.
Alternatively, you can warm your coconut oil until it melts then mix it with your shampoo before washing your hair and scalp.
ii. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is another remedy that play a great role in relieving very dry scalp and hair loss disorders beside other skin functions. This is done by moisturizing the scalp hence ensuring optimum conditions of the scalp are maintained for its nourishment and proper functioning.
- Apply some fresh aloe vera gel onto your scalp
- By the help of your fingers, massage it gently on the scalp.
- Allow it to sit for 10 – 15 minutes and then using a mild shampoo, wash your hair.
iii. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is an antifungal, anti-inflammation and antibacterial product that works powerfully in treating dry scalp and hair loss by relieving the itchiness caused by overgrowth of harmful fungus and inversion of bacteria on the scalp that damages hair follicles if not controlled. It has various ways of application. Below is a simple procedure you can apply:
- Add 10 – 20 drops of tea tree oil to half cup of baby shampoo
- Apply it on daily basis on your scalp until improvement is detected.
- Otherwise it can be melted and mixed with a teaspoonful of natural vegetable oil and applied on the scalp regularly. Same excellent results are achieved.
iv. Egg Yolk
“Different hair types need different components of the egg,” [Stylecraze.com.] Egg yolk has emulsifying properties that assist to put together the hair pack ingredients as a dense mixture. It leaves your hair beautiful, soft, smooth and silky. It also helps the pack to stick to the hair and penetrate the scalp and hair follicles and thus ensures healthier scalp. For application:
- Break two eggs and put them in a bowl
- Add few tablespoons of olive oil and beat them well
- Apply it on your scalp using your fingers and let it sit for 30 minutes
- Shampoo your hair using cold water to avoid the foul smell that comes out upon washing with warm water.
v. Avocado and Banana Mask
Avocado and banana are natural fruits that are easily accessible at our homes. Probably you may not have ever thought about what they can do to your hair. They work by moisturizing your hair and restoring the scalp. They also promote regrowth of hair hence terminating hair loss problem.
- Take a banana and an avocado and peel them
- Put them together and blend them well to form a smooth paste
- Add olive oil to the paste and mix them well
- Apply it on your head beginning from the roots and cover it with a shower cap
- Leave it for 20 minutes and rinse it using a mild shampoo
- Applying it once a week will help you rid of the disorder
There are a big number of natural remedies that we cannot actually exhaust all of them. More importantly, just choose a remedy and apply it consistently. When the over the counter treatment and the above remedies don’t improve your condition all, see your doctor. He/she will prescribe more advanced treatment depending on the causes. This may include oral and topical stronger medications, injections or procedure such as laser, surgeries or hair transplantation for permanent of severe hair loss.
More tips for dry scalp hair loss
To prevent the occurrence or re-occurrence of dry scalp and hair loss, you can use the tip bellows.
- Drink plenty amount of water everyday
- Avoid too much or too frequent shampoo application
- Consult with your nutritionist for proper diet
- Apply essential oil for dry scalp to ensure moisturized scalp.
- Avoid harsh hair care products especially those containing alcohol
- Avoid too much exposure to the sun to prevent sunburned scalp
Dry scalp is a mild condition that should even lead to hair loss. Keeping the optimal moisture content on your scalp is the key. Try to avoid scratching your scalp, though this is often difficult, you can apply essential oils to relive itchiness. Remember scratching is what leads to hair loss and not dry scalp. You may have non-itchy dry scalp and for this case no hair fall will be noticed, why? Because you don’t scratch. Not to forget, scratching lead to development of scabs that fall out with hair.
So when treating dry scalp and hair loss, the first step is to relieve itchiness and then restore the moisture content of the scalp. This is made possible through the application of OTC products and home remedies. If both don’t work for you, see your doctor or dermatologist as soon as possible.
- Causes of Dry Scalp and Hair Loss: webmd.com/
- How Hair Loss and Dry Scalp are Connected: https://www.haircureguide.com/
- Home Remedies for Hair Loss and Dry Scalp: 1800remedies.com/avocado-hair-mask/
- Home Remedies for Dry Scalp and Hair Loss: top10hairhomeremedies.com/
- Treatment for Hair Loss and Dry Scalp: stylecraze.com/
- Treatment Shampoos for Dry Scalp and Hair Loss: https://www.bestproducts.com/
- Medical Treatment for Dry Scalp and Hair Loss: https://www.everydayhealth.com/