Do you battle with white flakes on your shoulder and cloudy, dry hair? If so, then dry scalp may be to condemn. Here, you`ll discover which of dry scalp treatment options will help you put dry scalp and dandruff to an end, and have gorgeous hair
Dry Scalp is a widespread condition distinguished by itching, redness and at times related to dandruffs. This means that there is no enough content of moisture required by the scalp skin for its functionality. Perhaps, you may be troubled with questions what to use for dry scalp, here comes the solutions to your problem. But wait, do you think we can effectively achieve appropriate dry scalp treatment without knowing the exact root? Of course we can’t. So Let us explore some of the roots for dry scalp.
What causes dry scalp?
There are multiple dry scalp causes that leads to dryness on the scalp. Here is a number of reasons that may make your scalp to dry out:
- Skin conditions such as Psoriasis, Seborrheic dermatitis and eczema
- Hormonal disorders
- Cold and dry weather
- Too-often shampooing
- Wrong hair care products especially those containing alcohol
- Allergic reactions
- Too much blow-drying
Though scalp dryness is usually mild, it can be extremely itchy and flaky and so may be unsightly. Everydayhealth.com confirms that, ““Though not dangerous, a dry scalp is itchy, flaky and embarrassing.” Other symptoms that may occur alongside scalp dryness include; burning sensation, red sores, white buildups and more. I may be wrong not to outline this; if you don’t treat dry scalp on time, then the absence of moisture will make the hair follicles on the scalp to be weak and thus enhancing hair fall.
Sometimes, dry scalp symptoms may be very severe especially when they are due to internal disorders such as kidney, heart and liver problems. This is why we advise that, in case your dry scalp does not respond to DIY remedies or aggravates, please see your dermatologist or your GP immediately.
Dry scalp treatment and remedies
“The right way of treating dry scalp is to maintain moisture on the scalp,” says homeremediesforlife.com meanwhile, there are ingredients to treat scalp dryness at home. Dry scalp treatments range from OTC products to prescribed treatments to DIY home remedies.
Natural remedies for dry scalp
Below are some of the most excellent home remedies that dermatologist recommend for dry scalp treatment.
Alkaline nature of baking soda help it optimize acidity levels on the scalp. It also has an absorbing potential that rids off excess wetness leaving behind the necessary moisture content on the scalp.
- Mix one cup of baking soda with three cups of water to form paste
- Apply it on a damp hair and leave it for some time and wash it thoroughly with warm water.
- Apply it twice a week
Apple Cider Vinegar
This is a long-term serving natural remedy for a dry and itchy scalp that is easily accessible at our homes. It has a variety of properties for removing skin dryness and promoting healthier hair and scalp.
- Mix two tablespoons of apple cider Vinegar
- Add a cup of water on it
- Mix the two thoroughly
- After shampooing, soak your hair in the mixture for about ten minutes
- Should be done regularly at least three times a week
Application of egg yolk is not only known for removing dandruffs and moisturizing the scalp, but also leaves the hair shiny and thus best treatment for dry scalp
- To two egg yolks, add a few drops of lemon juice and mix them thoroughly.
- On a damp hair, apply the mixture and give it rest for about five to seven minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly to get rid of greasiness.
- This should be repeated twice or thrice a week
This is an outstanding home remedy for severe dry scalp and also dandruffs. It guarantees a heavily conditioned hair with no scalp dryness. It has antibacterial, antifungal and soothing properties that make it termed the king of herbs as well as many skin conditions are concerned.
- Mix fresh extract of aloe Vera with two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- Shampoo and condition your hair
- Apply this mixture and leave it for some time then wash it off thoroughly
Another major perfect scalp treatment is lemon juice. It contains antitoxins that help in killing bacteria and also bear anti-fungal properties for removing oil buildups. It also optimizes acidity levels on the scalp and functions by removing scalp stickiness, relieving irritation, moisturizing the scalp and also contains vitamins for strong hair and scalp growth.
- Cut a ripe lemon into two halves and extract the juice
- Apply it on your scalp directly
- Massage it keenly and leave it for five minutes
- Rinse your hair with cool water
Tea Tree Oil for dry scalp
Tea oil treatment is a regular scalp care regimen that contains tannic acid with an astringent nature for oily reduction. It also bear many properties that help nourish and supple the skin. Its dilute mixture is obtained after boiling tea leaves and a glass of water in a container. For application:
- Boil tea leaves with a cup of water
- After shampooing, apply the mixture on your scalp and hair when lukewarm.
- Finally rinse with water and shampoo.
Another method to remove dryness is with the aid of rosemary remedy. On application, it clears buildups leaving the scalp clean and soft while the hair is rendered silky and admirable.
- Take one cup of boiling water and pour it over two tablespoons of dried rosemary in a bowl.
- Cover and steep it for twenty minutes.
- Strain and cool.
- Pour the mixture into a plastic bottle and splash the hair with this rosemary decoction after every shampoo.
Coconut Oil for dry scalp
You should learn that oiling may best fit dry scalp treatment since it will help retain the lost moisture and hence treat severe dry scalp. Coconut oil will enhance sebum production, blood circulation and also supply vital nutrients and lock up the moisture content on the scalp.
- Warm some coconut oil and use your finders or cotton ball to apply it through your scalp and hair
- Massage the oil in circular motions for 3-4 minutes
- Leave the application for one hour before rinsing off using a mild shampoo
- Rewind the procedure 2-3 times weekly
Witch hazel is very effective for dry scalp especially that is caused by hair coloring products or blow drying. Its astringent property also relieves scalp inflammation.
- Combine one cup of hazel oil to 2 cups of water
- Apply the mixture on your scalp
- Massage it gently for about 10 minutes
- You can then rinse the application off your scalp and hair
Vitamin B Remedy (Diet)
Dry scalp can also impact from deficiency of vitamins B6 and B12 in your diet. Boost the intake of these crucial vitamins by increasing the intake of fruits, vegetables and whole –grain breads. Alternatively you can use supplements such as zinc, flaxseed oil and selenium.
On the same line, you can also limit or avoid the intake of spicy food, sugary foods and alcohol. Also make sure you drink plenty of water to keep your skin well hydrated.
Best shampoo for dry scalp
There are also very good shampoos that can hasten the relief of dry scalp. Some of these shampoos are available over the counter while other are available with prescription. You can try medicated over the counter shampoos that contains ingredients such as zinc pyrithione, ketoconazole, or selenium oxide. These are excellent ingredients that are applauded to treat irritated, flaky and dry skin. Alternatively, you can also look for dry scalp shampoos with coal tar, selenium, or zinc or salicylic acid to help relieve dry scalp.
The only setback is that, there are many shampoos fashioned for dry scalp treatment but at the same time don’t be surprised to hear that some of these shampoos can also aggravates dry scalp instead of clearing it. Get proper advice from your Doctor to get effective dry scalp shampoo for your case. Here are among the best shampoos for dry scalp you can try:
- Moroccan Oil Treatment
- Giovanni Organic Cosmetics Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo
- Desert Essence Conditioner – Coconut
- Avalon Organics Thickening Shampoo Biotin B Complex Therapy
- Neutrogena T-Gel Therapeutic Shampoo, Maximum Strength
- Redken Dandruff Control Scalp Relief Shampoo
- Jason Dandruff Relief Shampoo
When to see a doctor
If you are unable to get a remedy of your own, schedule a visit with your dermatologist. If your dry scalp is due to severe health conditions such as psoriasis, eczema or veiled internal health conditions, the dry scalp treatment in this case may be a bit different and it is only the doctor who can do diagnosis and prescriptions. Before I go, do me this favor. Always keep your scalp skin and hair moisturized using the above natural remedies. You will have reduced the risk to suffer dry scalp
- Medical treatment for Flaky Scalp: webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatment/
- Home remedies for flaky scalp: homeremediesforlife.com/lemon-for-dandruff/
- Causes of Dry Scalp: http://everydayhealth.com/skin-beauty/dry-scalp
- Medical Treatment for Dry Scalp: http://www.headandshoulders.com/en-us/healthy-hair-and-scalp
- Causes of Dry Scalp: webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatment/features
- Symptoms of Dry Scalp: healthline.com/health/skin-disorders/dry-scalp
- Symptoms of Dry Scalp: https://draxe.com/itchy-scalp