What is the meaning and causes of dry scalp flakes? What can be done to get rid of these embarrassing flakes on my scalp? Find out if dry scalp flakes is due to dandruff, psoriasis, eczema or something else-and what can be done to get rid of dry flaky scalp fast.
Meaning of dry scalp flakes
When the scalp get dry for instance due to imbalance in the pH level caused by harsh weather, hair product build and allergic reaction, there will be shedding of the epidermis causing the scalp skin to feel tight, irritated and dry. This will trigger dry scalp flakes. More types of scalp flakes include easy to remove flakes, hard to remove flakes and oily scalp flakes (usually caused by dandruff). All the types of scalp flakes may have similar or different causes.
In dry, flaking scalp, many people do suspect dandruff. But it could be a sign of dry skin on scalp too. The tricky parts of it is that, both dandruff and dry scalp have the same main symptoms but you can take it from me, dandruff mainly result to oily large flakes while dry scalp causes smaller dry flakes. To expound on this, we wish therefore to put it clear that anything that can interfere with the production of sebum on the scalp can trigger mild to severe dry scalp and hence flaking.
Causes of dry scalp flakes
Flaky scalp may betide due to various reasons which involves anything that can lead to shedding of dead skin cells at a higher rate than usual. It may be due to scalp skin infections, skin conditions and more. Now, let’s dig deeper into the causes.
Seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff)
This is a skin condition that causes red, itchy and dry flaky skin. It can occur on any part of the body but when it occur on the scalp it is called dandruff. Fortunately, it is a treatable condition. Treatment may involve over the counter shampoo, prescribed-strength shampoo and steroid creams.
Eczema on scalp
This is revolting condition of the skin that result due to irritation. Patches of the skin become inflamed, itchy, red cracked and rough says medicalnewstoday.com. It is characterized by things that cause allergies like dust, pollen, certain chemicals, and certain medication among others. Continued dominance of these substance on the scalp therefore gives rise to dry flakes. For treatment, visit an expert to guide you.
Cold and chilly weather plays a great role in acquiring a really dry scalp with flakes. Certain fungus and bacteria that are naturally found on our heads have this as the most conducive environment to multiply and outgrow. Thus, when operating in massive numbers, they feed on the scalp depriving the suitable ingredient for healthy hair and strong scalp. Cold and dry air are also associated with dehydrated scalp and dry scalp are prone to flaking.
Psoriasis on scalp
Psoriasis is a skin disease related to scaly red patches that crop up first at a single part and then spread to the entire scalp, neck back and behind the ears. Once the scalp is attacked, flakes begin to form along the hair lines and bases causing very painful sores, irritable itchy skin and silvery-white scales. Since the disease is incurable, it is advisable to ensure it is controlled before it gives you more terrible conditions. This is only possible when you consult your GP.
Fungus outgrowth on your scalp
Although fungus is present on your scalp for certain purposes of which all may not be bad, it results to a dry flaky scalp when its growth is not controlled. Actually, fungal infections can be so devastating if not managed at early stages. Ensure your hair and scalp is well cleaned and conditioned after shampooing to give it ample time for achieving optimal conditions.
Allergic skin reactions
This is a condition that is brought about by reactions due to allergens like pollen grains, and hair products, certain medicines among others. When the named substances come into contact with the scalp skin, they react vigorously resulting to itching and thus triggering may result to scalp dryness which may later develop some flakes. Avoid things that can react with your skin on application for instance harsh hair care products. And how do you know this? On application of a certain hair product, an irritation may crop up. When this happens, you are required to discontinue the use of such product and immediately notify your GP about the situation
Dry scalp disorders have been related to hereditary factors overtime whereby, the phenomenon is carried forward from generation to generation. If for instance, one of your relatives or family members especially parents, had suffered the condition before, you are liable to acquire it genetically.
Stress and depression
Depression and stress are hazards well known to bring about most of the health complications that attack many individuals today. When you are downcast, glands tend to be more vibrant in over producing hormones due to the tension within your body system. Thus, the more the oil is produced, the more it forms build ups hence dandruffs and a worse condition of a flaky scalp may result as byproduct of the process. Guidance and counselling from a doctor can well assist you in riding off stress.
Over application and wrong shampoos
A wide spread variety of shampoos is available at cheap prices in the market places but the major challenge comes in when you are choosing the right one for your hair and scalp health. Over-application or the use of harsh shampoos can cause dry scalp. Misconception also has it that, regular shampooing clear all bothersome scalp problems. Take it from us, over-shampooing is just but a menace to your scalp health condition!
Symptoms of dry scalp flakes
Perhaps, you have been wondering how to know whether you are harboring this condition- flaky dry scalp. The following symptoms will clarify it for you whether it is dry flaky scalp or other scalp problems. These symptoms usually depend on the dry scalp causes and how long you take to treat them.
- Red painful sores
- Itchy dry scalp
- Yellow patches of flaky scalp
- White and silver-like buildups of dandruff
- Burning sensation
- Hair thinning
- Dry Scalp
- Frizzy hair
Causes of dry flaky scalp beyond the above discussed may be even more severe. They may indicate something to do with internal health disorders for instance kidney and heart failure. Symptoms in such case may be very dreadful and life-threatening. You should therefore make sure you see your GP when you dry scalp flakes become chronic or is not responding to the home treatment.
Dry scalp flaky treatment – best shampoos, home remedies
Treating dry flaky scalp will depend on various factors. Causes, severity of the symptoms and the age of the patient are some few factors to be considered.
Some of the common treatment for dry scalp flakes involve over the counter products such topical corticosteroids, coal tar, salicylic acid, topical Retinoids, zinc pyrithione, selenium sulphide and ketoconazole. Your dermatologist may have more medical options depending on your situation.
Apart from the prescribed dry flaky scalp treatment, the effective dry flaky scalp treatment will include over the counter shampoos and Natural home remedies. Read about to explore more about these wonderful shampoos and remedies for dry scalp with flakes.
Best shampoos for dry flaky scalp
Here are the top 5 shampoos recommended for flaky dry scalp.
A) Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo, 4 Oz
This is a medicated shampoo which forms an excellent dry flaky scalp treatment. It contains a potent antifungal called ketoconazole which is very fierce for many scalp conditions. Prescription given by the doctor should be followed to the later for excellent results. Application should be twice a week. It has the following solutions:
- Rids off dandruffs
- It makes growth of bacteria dormant hence curbing the risk of a dreadful fungal infection
- Eases the skin from itchy feeling or inflammation
B) Loprox Shampoo for Flaky Scalp
This is an antifungal shampoo that is formulated to prevent fungus growth. It is available in Gel, Lotion and cream forms. It should not be bandaged after application and dosage skipping is not encouraged. Should be applied as per the doctor’s prescription. It solves the following:
- Treats seborrheic Dermatitis
- It removes dandruffs
- It cleanses the scalp and nourishes the skin
C) Head and Shoulder Shampoo
Head and shoulder shampoo is a good shampoo for dry scalp. It is available over-the-counter, used globally and known for its power in promoting a flake-free scalp within a period of two weeks or so. Not fit for colored hair, remember. It has these listed merits:
- Easily accessible
- Guarantees flake free hair
- Nice scented
- Eliminates dandruffs in conjunction with itchy scalp
D) Anti-dandruff Shampoo from Tea Tree
This is another best shampoo for flaky scalp, it contains essential oils and ingredients such as keratin, argan oil, tea tree oil as well as lavender oil for dandruff treatment. It boosts growth of strong hair. Outlined below are its advantages:
- It is a natural shampoo with no harmful chemicals
- It eliminates dandruffs and soothes itchy dry scalp
- It aids hair growth as well as hair length
- It keeps off head lice
- It is not limited to a certain age bracket
E) Total Relief Pyrithione Zinc Conditioner
Pythithione Zinc is a component of this conditioner that makes it fit for flaky scalp conditions. It is designed for several uses such as:
- Eliminates bacteria and fungus responsible for flaky scalp
- It soothes itchiness
- Removes dandruffs
- Guarantees smooth and fine hair
Home remedies for dry scalp flakes
There are several natural ingredients that can be used to treat dry scalp with flakes at the comfort of our home. For your convenience, we have explained them below. Just choose one among them and try it consistently.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
This is a long-term serving natural remedy for flaky scalp. Available at our homes since and it has a variety of performances with freeing hair from flakes. Talk of antifungal and antibacterial properties and more.
- Mix two tablespoons of apple cider Vinegar
- Add a cup of water on it
- Mix the two thoroughly
- After shampooing, soak your hair in the mixture for about ten minutes
- Should be done regularly at least three times a week
2. Baking soda
Baking Soda is alkaline in nature that aids in optimizing acidity levels on the scalp. It also has absorbing power that keeps off unnecessary moisture from the hair and scalp hence do away with skin dryness.
- Mix one cup of baking soda with three cups of water to form paste
- Apply it on a damp hair and leave it for some time before wash it thoroughly with warm water.
- Apply this remedy twice a week
3. Aloe Vera
This is an outstanding home remedy for dandruffs and dry scalp. It guarantees a heavily conditioned hair with no flakes. This is made possible by its antifungal, antibacterial, astringent and moisturizing properties it owes.
- Mix fresh extract of aloe Vera with two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- Shampoo and condition your hair
- Apply this mixture and leave it for some time then wash it off thoroughly
- This should be repeat 3 times in a week until desired result is achieved
4. Egg white
Egg white is a natural and suitable hair remedy that is easy to apply and access. The results are flake free scalp, nourished and shiny clean hair.
- To two yolks of white egg, add a few drops of lemon juice and beat them thoroughly until the two obtain a perfect mix
- Wet your hair and apply the mixture
- Give it around five to seven minutes and wash off the residue using lukewarm water
This is a cheap home remedy for treating dandruffs. Its resolving power for troublesome dandruff is highly remarkable. It also nurture and supple the skin perfectly and hence gets rid of dry skin that may flake.
- To wet hair, apply diluted raw honey
- Massage it thoroughly and continuously into the scalp for about two to three minutes
- Leave it to perform its justice for about three hours
- Rinse it with warm water
6. Coconut oil
Coconut oil contains anti-fungal properties with numerous merits for the hair besides the scalp. All you need to do is to get raw natural coconut oil or purchase a bottle of virgin coconut oil and apply once before your bedtime. After application, you are assured moisturized, softened and dandruff-free scalp and hair.
- Add a tablespoon of warm coconut oil in a bowl
- Rub in the oil into your scalp and the hair too beginning from the roots
- Give it about 5 minutes to soak and put a wear on your head and leave it overnight
- Clean it in the morning with the regular shampoo
- This should be continued for as long as the condition still exists.
7. Lemon juice rinse
This is an anti-dandruff solution that contains antitoxins that aid the killing of bacteria and has anti-fungal properties for removing dandruffs. It also optimizes acidity levels on the scalp. It also contain vitamins for strong scalp and smooth hair growth.
- Cut a ripe lemon into two halves and extract the juice
- Apply it on your scalp directly
- Massage it keenly and leave it for five minutes
- Rinse your hair with cool water
8. Rosemary rinse
Another method to remove oiliness is with the aid of rosemary rinse. It will leave you scalp clean and soft scalp skin with beautiful hair that is free from dandruff.
- Take one cup of boiling water and add it to two tablespoons of dried rosemary in a bowl.
- Cover and steep it for twenty minutes.
- Strain and cool.
- Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and splash your hair with this rosemary decoction after every shampoo.
9. Tea tree oil
Tea treatment is a regular scalp care regimen that contains tannic acid with an astringent nature for oil reduction. Its dilute mixture is obtained after boiling tea leaves and a glass of water in a container.
- After shampooing, you should apply the mixture on your scalp and hair
- Leave it to stay for some time
- Finally rinse off with water and shampoo.
10. Fuller`s earth
This is a wonderful ingredient used in beauty industry for skin and hair problems. It contains various minerals that are essential for scalp skin. This product has oil-absorbing, cleansing and anti-septic properties that make it potent for treating dry scalp flakes and dandruff without any side effect.
- Gather some fuller`s earth in a cup and mix with 5 tablespoon of rice flour
- Blend it with some egg white to get a smooth paste
- Apply the paste on your scalp to the length of your hair
- Keep the hair combed and packed with mud paste for 10 minutes
- Rinse your scalp and hair the dry it
Dry flaky scalp is usually nothing much to worry about but if not control adequately, it may too embarrassing or severe symptoms. Sometimes, it may also be a symptom of the onset of a serious medical condition. So make sure you try the flaky dry scalp as soon as this condition is unmasked. When you can find the most effective treatment for you condition at home, kindly visit your dermatologist of doctor.
- Causes of Flaky Scalp: webwd.com/beauty/fight-flakes
- Symptoms of Flaky Scalp: medbroadcast.com/conditon/getcondition/dandruff
- Symptoms of scalp flakes: medicinet.com/flakyscalp/symptoms.htm
- Medical treatment for Flaky Scalp: webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatment/
- Home remedies for flaky scalp: homeremediesforlife.com/lemon-for-dandruff/
- Naturals remedies for scalp flakes: myhealthtips.in/2015/11/coconut-oil-dandruff.html/
- Medical treatment for scalp flakes: https://www.amazon.com/Artnaturals-therapeutical-treatment/