When looking for the best demi-permanent hair color, you will get top brands such as Wella, ion, Clairol, Garnier, Redken, L’Oreal, etc. However, do you know what they are? Get insight on what they are, benefits, some of the top brands to go for and how to remove them.
Before we look at some of best brands and removal procedure, you deserve clearly to understand what demi-permanent hair colors are. They refer to hair dyes, which last longer than semi-permanent hair colors or dyes, but for a lesser duration when compared to permanent ones. Typically, they can last for 20 to 28 shampoo washes; they are easy to use and quite versatile.
On composition, they often contain alkaline agents (such as sodium carbonate, ethanolamine, etc) instead of ammonia i.e. are ammonia free hair color and you will need a developer such as a hydrogen peroxide.
However, in terms of amounts, you will use lesser concentration of the developers. Since the alkaline agents used are not as strong as ammonia, they will not remove your hair color natural pigments and you cannot have a lighter shade when you use them.
When using them, they do not open up the cuticle completely for the color to penetrate into the cortex and this preserves the integrity of your hairs. Instead, they temporarily beneath your cuticle without getting into the cortex.
In terms of side effects, they pose dangers just like most of the permanent and ones. These might range from allergic reaction to these dyes, skin irritation to effects that are more serious.
Advantages or benefits
Although they cannot lighten your hair being ammonia free, they have their own numerous advantages that make many people go for them instead of semi-permanent or permanent ones. Inasmuch as they might not be as effective as permanent brands in covering grey hair, they have their own benefits that make them preferred by many people. So what are some of the benefits or advantages?
- They cause less hair damaging effects when compared to permanent ones due to lower concentrations of hydrogen peroxide or other developers. Therefore, they are safer for hairs that are already damaged.
- You will have a more enhanced natural and even look since they do not lighten hair being ammonia free.
- You can use them to enhance a previously applied color, especially if you initially applied a permanent one and it is fading, i.e. it can help you restore and refresh your color without damaging your hair.
- They gradually are washed out making root regrowth less visible and do not alter your hair color. Furthermore, you will not get into a serious commitment to ensuring it retains its new color when compared to using a permanent brand.
- The colorless formula can be used to add dazzling shine. This should be opted for when you do not want to use colored ones.
- They can give 100% gray hair coverage. However, if you have coarser hair, the less it will cover it well.
- Some brands will allow you immediately to use permanent wave services or relaxers. However, this is specific to some brands.
- Since it does not lighten your hair, it is hard to mess it up when using demi-permanent when opposed to using permanent ones.
- They are very effective in blending grey hair and they will ensure you have the most natural looking blended look. Use one to two shades lighter than your hair color to create highlights that have no pigment (white hair), which will take the shade you used.
These are not the only advantages; there are many others, which might vary from one product to another such as being gentler on your hair, easy to experiment with, etc.
On the downside, they tend to be costly if you opt for a salon. However, home demi-permanent hair color kits could be affordable. Furthermore, if you are looking for a long time solution, you need to go for permanent dyes since these will last for up 30 shampoo washes and during each wash, they slowly fade.
Best demi-permanent hair color
If you are interested to try some of the best brands, we have listed some of the top brands below. We reviewed a number of them before coming up with the list. However, this list is not all conclusive.
- Clairol Natural Instincts
- Garnier HerbaShine Color Crème with Bamboo Extracts
- Redken Shades EQ
- Ion Color Brilliance Intensive Shine
- L’Oréal Paris Healthy Look Crème Gloss Color
- N Rage
- Wella Color Charm
- Colaura Demi-Permanent Conditioning
As expected, from the list, you could not miss products from some of the leading brands such as Redken, L’Oreal, Garnier, Clairol, and Wella. Of course, these are not the only best brands. There are many others.
Furthermore, each of these top brands comes in different colors. Ensure you read user reviews, rating and comments before you try any and that you pick the right shade.
How to them
You have a clear understanding what they are, some of its best brands, and benefits or advantages. The question that most people will often ask is how they can remove them once they have applied it. There are many ways removing them. Some of these common ways to remove demi-permanent hair colors include the following:
- Use hair color remover (such as Vanish and Color Oops) and the appropriate developer
- Using baking soda mixed with dawn dishwashing soap while washing it can help
- Using lemon juice (citric acid) or white vinegar (has acidic property) – apply it and wait for about 20 minutes before washing it off.
- Shampooing 2 to 3 times daily using clarifying shampoos to help remove excess hair color molecules. Prell Shampoo is particularly a good one to try or any other shampoo without sulfates.
Other products people have tried including the use of vitamin C treatment, hot oil, and other hair dye strippers you might get in the market (experiment and read reviews about them before trying them out).
We will not go into the details of how to remove them since the technique or procedure might be depended on which method you are using. We are neither going to discuss ways of removing demi-permanent hair dye from the skin, face, clothing, etc. We will cover something on how to remove hair dye stains in a different post.
Depending on whether you have gone for Clairol, Garnier, Redken, N’Rage Wella or L’Oreal, or any other leading brand you might get more details on how to remove each of these brands.
Furthermore, people who have very porous hair might find it hard to remove them since it will be able to penetrate to their hair’s cortex, making it look much the same as
Where to them
Once you have decided on which brand will be best for you, you need to know where to buy these hair dyes. You will not miss them on leading online shops such as amazon.com, Sally’s Beauty Supply, eBay or Sephora, etc. You will also get them in most leading local cosmetic vendors. I hope this discussion has answered the below questions
- How do you remove demi-permanent hair colors
- How long will they last?
- How do they work or what they are.
- Some of the best brands of each