If you have ever found yourself persistently scratching your head because of an itchy scalp, then you are not alone. Many people experience mild to severe cases, which could be very exasperating. Just imagine how disgusting it would be if you scratch it in public only to discover the unattractive flakes dropping on your shoulders. It is extremely displeasing.
In this post, we’ll share 10 ultimate home remedies that will help reduce dryness and relieve this problem including the itchy scalp syndrome. We will also have something small on causes as well as the symptoms to expect.
In case you cannot stop the urge to scratch it now and then, you should give it a deep thought since something is behind it! Several things contribute to one having a dry and itchy scalp whether it is in adults or children. Do not ignore it because is not only uncomfortable and shaming but a health menace to your scalp skin.
According to Natural-alternative-therapies.com, “Neither home remedies nor harsh medication can prevent your scalp from becoming dry, flaky and itchy again- if you don’t eliminate the root cause.” Therefore knowing the primary causes will determine what kind of treatment to be applied.
What causes it?
Some common causes include the following:
- Seborrheic dermatitis: this skin conditions is characterized by redness, itching and flaking any place in the body. It is referred to as dandruff when it affects this area. It also triggers itchiness and hair loss
- Scalp psoriasis: can lead to dandruff-like itching and flakes
- Scalp Eczema: this skin condition is more common in babies and children but can as well be experienced in adults. The specific cause is not known but can be triggered by poor diet, allergies, and stress among others.
- Contact dermatitis: This skin condition that can also affect even it is due to scalp skin sensitivity to hair care and other products. Some of these products usually contain very harsh chemicals that can trigger allergic reactions.
- Poor diet: having a poor diet can result in all the above conditions. Actually, vitamins and mineral deficiency can cause many skin problems. For instance, if you miss zinc, vitamin B and certain types of fats in your diet, then you can be prone to dandruff.
- Scalp Infections: bacterial and fungal infections are the major cause of dry and itchy scalp. Bacterial infection includes folliculitis and impetigo. Tinea Capitis and yeast (Malassezia) are the common fungal scalp infections that could lead to the severe itchiness.
- Head Lice infestation: this insect can also lead to this problem, as the skin tends to react to their saliva and eggs. They are common in children but can also affect the adults
The symptoms depend on the exact cause, from among the ones we have mentioned. Though itchiness symptoms tend to be similar, the causes are very different. Here are some symptoms that can accompany itchy scalp:
- Constant urge to scratch the affected area
- Presence of flaky or tiny white particles
- Sore scalp
- redness, swelling, and flaking of scalp skin
Now that you have an insight into the causes and symptoms, let as looking at treating options for this condition where we are going to focus on remedies.
However, before we proceed to remedies, ensure you do not scratch it as doing so can lead to secondary infections hence severe symptoms!
To cure or relieve it, you can purchase over the counter anti-itching or anti-dandruff shampoo or go for prescribed treatments. Nevertheless, if you don’t want to waste your money on chemical shampoos and more, you have other options. Here are some 10 great home remedies you can apply and are effective for treating dry, itchy scalp and hair loss.
Most of these home remedies are meant for mild cases or relieving some of the symptoms associated with this condition.
This is one of the home product for dry scalp and itchiness that many people love. Baking soda`s alkaline nature makes it very proficient in balancing the pH of the hair and relieving itchiness meritoriously. It is also known for excellently exfoliator hence getting rid of the dead skin cells that may trigger this problem.
To use this remedy, just prepare a paste of baking soda with water and then apply it on your scalp. Let it stay there for 15 minutes and then wash it off.
Lemon juice has antiseptic properties that can help relieve the itchiness on this area. Spray some fresh lemon juice on your scalp. In cases of mild itchiness, you can dilute the juice using water. You can then let it sit for about 10 minutes and then rinse it out. Remember the regular use of this remedy will a bit lighten your hair, so you must be careful if you opt to use it.
Coconut oil is a wonderful essential oil that can potentially work wonders in treating both itchiness and hair loss. It has proven to be effective for many skin conditions and hair. These days, coconut oil is available in many groceries hence is readily available.
Simply massage some coconut oil on it and leave it there for a while before rinsing it out. Alternatively, gently heat coconut oil to melt it, add it to your shampoo for itchy scalp and wash it using the mixture.
I assure you, your hair will be shiny with a sweet smell after this remedy. You will also forget about this menace after using it for a while.
Banana and avocado
This is also among the best itchy dry scalp remedies. Try to use these fruits if you wish to have sweet smelling hair and healthy scalp.
Begin by mashing and mixing up two bananas and an avocado. Rub the mixture on it and let it sit for about 35 minutes and then wash it off. This will help to make your hair shinier as well as promoting hair growth but, more importantly easing the itchiness.
Apple Cider Vinegar
This one has powerful anti-inflammation properties that will be effective for killing yeast and other pathogens that would lead to this problem. Just like baking soda, it also helps in balancing the pH levels of the scalp and this will do away with severe dryness as well as itchiness.
To apply this remedy, you need to wash your hair and scalp with water and then let it dry. Mix same amounts of apple cider vinegar and water and store the mixture in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture pm to it directly. Wait after a short while the wash your hair with normal water.
Tea tree oil for dry scalp
This is another recommended home remedy that has got anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that will definitely make it capable of relieving itchiness, flakiness as well as swelling that may accompany this problem. Massage it with tea tree oil and leave it on for at least 20 minutes and then rinse with water. This is always an effective treatments for scalp rash, acne, pimples and sores.
Aloe Vera is a natural moisturizer which can capably relieve dry skin and itching in any place on the human body. It has got more beneficial properties for skin conditions as well as the scalp. Get fresh Aloe Vera gel and then apply it directly on it. Leave it to stay for about 15 minutes then rinse it off.
Sesame oil can also help get rid of scalp dryness and itchiness. Warm some sesame oil and massage it directly before bedtime. To attain the best result, massage the oil for about 10 minutes on the affected area and then wrap your head in a hot towel for about 10 minutes. Allow it to remain there throughout the night. Shampoo and wash it and hair properly first thing in the morning.
This a natural astringent that can perform wonders when you want to stop itchy scalp. It is very effective especially for cases caused by hair coloring and daily blow drying. Follow these instructions to apply this remedy.
Mix one cup of witch hazel with one cup of water. Apply the mixture to your scalp and massage properly. Let it sit for around 8 minutes then rinse your hair thoroughly.
Last, in our list, we have jojoba oil, a wonderful natural moisturizing treatment for this problem. Their molecular structure is closer to that of sebum which makes it capable of adequately hydrating scalp skin just like sebum.
Apply a small amount of jojoba oil onto your scalp just a few minutes before going to bed. Leave it to stay over the night. The first thing in the morning is to wash your hair with a mild treatment shampoo. Repeat the remedy once a week.
Other home remedies
Neem oil, onion juice and lavender oil, turmeric among others
More tips to reduce itchiness
They always say, “Prevention is better than cure” and this is true, agreed? Good, avoiding itchy scalp will relieve you from being bothered to use the above home remedies. Here are some tips to prevent this condition:
- Always dry your hair properly after you wash it and always avoid tying wet hair
- Brush your hair regularly to enhance proper circulation of blood
- Always protect your hair from sunburn to avoid dry scalp that may itch
- Keep your it and your hair clean to avoid head lice infestation
- Maintain a well-balanced diet by seeking advice from a nutritionist
- Keep your body hydrated by drinking a lot of water
- Try to limit stress, depression or anxiety since this may lead to several skin conditions
- Make sure you regularly massage it using essential oil
- Maintain fundamental hygiene
- Make sure you test your scalp skin sensitivity to hair care products prior to their application.
- Clean your hair, brushes, and combs to avoid the spread of infections
- Examine everything that comes in contact with it or hair and avoid synthetic hair dyes and more harsh hair care products
- If you are facing this condition, then it is recommended that you change shampoo that you use regularly
When to worry about it?
Usually, this issue is not a cause for concern. But there are cases when it can indicate something more serious elsewhere in the body. Immediately consult your doctor when:
- Itchiness still persist despite applying the above remedies or over the counter products including itchy scalp shampoos
- The itching symptoms start to spread to other parts of the body i.e. face, neck, back and more.
- The itchiness is preventing you from performing daily chores
- Other symptoms e.g. sore or painful bumps on itchy scalp.