Have you been troubled by oily hair condition and almost giving up on it? Fortunately, you are among the persons that this article is going to assist much on how to get rid of this problem. Here, you’ll discover what causes or triggers, best home treatments and recommend shampoos.
Before we dig deep into treatment , we have to make sure we are conversant with the underlying causes. This will help you to come up the best treatment for your case.
Greasy hair is often a temporary condition that is as a result of overproduction of sebum by the sebaceous glands hence the oil builds up and spreads towards the hair strands. Did I say it is a temporary condition? Yes it is, but it can be persistent is if it is due chronic health conditions or if not given proper medication. It may also be a recurring jeopardy if some of the habits triggering it are repeated.
There are wide range of conditions and factors that can cause it. Listed below are some of the common causes to blame for oily scalp and hair:
- Seborrheic Dermatitis
- Hormonal Fluctuations
- Weather conditions
- Poor diet
- Poor hygiene
- Use of wrong care products
- Hair type
- Oily Skin
- Stress and anxiety
- Dry scalp
- Over brushing and over-combing as well as too much touching among others
The above causes can result to different symptoms and therefore, I want to make one thing clear, the severity of greasy hair can be determined by the cause but how you attend to the initial stage of the oiliness also matters a lot. I mean, the cause may be mild but result severe symptoms if not treated quickly and effectively. The reverse for this is also true-the cause may be severe but if treated in time and properly, it may nothing much to worry about. Common symptoms include:
- Heavy, weak and difficult to manage hair
- Itchy scalp skin
- Hair loss or progressive hair thinning
- Formation of greasy scalp
Having explained all that, I want us to answer this question: what can be done to get rid of oily hair or what is the best oily hair treatment? Well, despite of greasy hair being bothersome and embarrassing condition, there are many effective natural home remedies and OTC shampoos that can make you smile again if you had greasy hair. Read on to get insightful information about these remedies and shampoos.
Home remedies for oily hair
Solutions to most of the skin conditions affecting many people today lies at the comfort of our homes or rather kitchens. These include natural ingredients or “natural hair shampoos” as refered to by our customers. These products are easily accessible and bear simple procedures of application. Most of them have been used for years and have proved to be supreme. Here, we’ll discuss 15 top rated natural home treatments.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
This is a long-term serving natural remedy for oily scalp and hair that is easily accessible at our homes. It has a variety of wonderful roles in relieving many skin conditions including greasiness. It has acetic acid that makes it potent to balance the pH of the scalp hence controls the production of excess sebum. It also known to be a good hair tonic which results in gorgeous, soft and shiny hair.
- Mix two tablespoons of apple cider Vinegar
- Add a cup of water on it
- Mix the two thoroughly
- After shampooing, soak it in the mixture for about ten minutes
- The procedure should be done regularly at least three times a week
2. Baking soda
Baking soda is another widely used product for years. It has the potential to absorb the excess oil on the scalp and therefore gets rid of scalp build-ups. It also keeps the correct moisture in place and thus healthier hair and scalp.
- Mix one cup of baking soda with three cups of water to form paste
- Apply it while your hair is damp and leave it for some time and wash it thoroughly with warm water.
- Apply it twice a week to effective result
3. Lemon juice
Another major solution to oily scalp is lemon juice. It acidity nature helps to balance the scalp pH levels and functions by removing oiliness. It also has wonderful vitamins and minerals that promotes healthier hair.
- Cut a ripe lemon into two halves and extract the juice
- Apply it on your scalp directly
- Massage it keenly and leave it for five minutes
- Rinse it with cool water
4. Black tea
“Tea is not only good for the health of your body, but it is also great for the health of your hair,” says www.urbanbushbabes.com. Tea can perform different tasks to combat greasiness. It has astringent called tannic acid which help to limit excess oil production by tightening the scalp pores. This makes black to be termed good treatment for this issue too.
- Add 2-4 tea bags to 2 cups of boiled water (this may vary depending on its quantity)
- Allow it to stay for a few hours.
- Once you have shampooed it, pour tea water on and let it sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Add the deep conditioner for oily hair on top of your rinse.
- Wash the rinse off after a while.
5. Aloe Vera
This is an outstanding home remedy you should try. It guarantees a heavily conditioned hair with no scalp dryness at all. Thanks to its vitamins, minerals and enzymes. All these ingredients make aloe Vera potent to detoxify scalp impurities and manage the production of scalp natural oils.
- Mix fresh extract of aloe Vera gel with two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- Shampoo and condition it
- Apply this mixture and leave it for some time then wash it off thoroughly using lukewarm water
6. Fuller’s earth
This is another applauded natural product for many skin and hair conditions. It is effective and easily compatible with other home ingredients for use. Its mineral can balance the pH level of the scalp and also bear oil absorbing property that helps it get rid of the excess oil.
- Mix fullers earth with water in a bowl and leave it to soak and soften for three to four hours.
- Allow it to sit for 1 more hour so that it is fully set
- Apply the paste thoroughly to your scalp and hair.
- Wash with lukewarm water after 20 minutes
- Employ this treatment once in a week for some months
7. Egg masks
Egg mask is great home conditioner for this problem. In addition, it also combats oiliness and also the proteins in it help to strengthen it. Try this remedy today to have your own testimony.
- Break an egg or two according to the length of your hair
- Beat it in a bowl
- Apply it and wait for half an hour
- Wash the residue off with a mild shampoo
8. Tomatoes juice
Tomato is considered as one of the most effective remedies. It has an acidic property that enables it to kill the bacteria and reduce the oil production on the scalp. Tomatoes also get rid of the foul smells accompanied by greasiness.
- Mix tomato juice and mix with fuller’s earth
- Apply the mixture on your hair and scalp and leave it for 15 minutes
- Rinse off using lukewarm water
9. Banana and honey
This is the most outstanding remedy for this and other hair and scalp conditions. The mixture ensures your hair is left beautiful and smooth with no oiliness. See this, a mixture of the two form a wonderful homemade conditioner you never thought of. For sure, this mixture will nurture and keep your hair oil free.
- Put a banana and some spoons of honey into a blender
- Make a paste from them.
- Massage the paste on your hair and scalp for 20 minutes
- Wash it off using lukewarm water
10. Oatmeal remedy
Oatmeal is another natural treatment you can give a try. It works by removing greasiness and relieving itchy scalp. Thanks to its thick consistency.
- Prepare oatmeal and leave it to cool
- Take a reasonable amount of oatmeal and apply on the hair and scalp
- Leave it to stay for 15 minutes
- Rinse it off and shampoo as usual
11. Tea and rosemary rinse
Rosemary and tea rinse is another regimen that works best for this condition. Rosemary aids faster growth and makes hair much stronger. Tea on the other hand will leave it black and admirable
- Make a mixture of the two in a bowl
- Apply it and wait for 20-30 minutes. This should be after usual shampooing
12. Witch hazel remedy
Are you stressed up and almost giving up on persistent oily hair? Witch hazel is usually effective where other natural ingredients may seem inappropriate. “If you want real results, take some Witch Hazel and mix it with mouthwash, of all things, and blot it on your scalp,” [allwomenstalk.com]
- Mix witch Hazel with mouthwash
- Dab the mixture on a cotton ball and apply it gently on your scalp and hair
- Leave it for a while for it to perform its duty and rinse it off
13. Table salt
Salt is a drying agent that helps in scrubbing dandruffs as well as removing greasy hair condition that may yield up to seborrheic dermatitis if not controlled. “Massage salt on your scalp thoroughly right before you shower and then wash it off properly”, says heavy.com. This remedy will actually guarantee good fine hair and is the most effective remedy if it also has dandruff.
14. Beer rinse
In this case, beer can be used as one of the good remedies to try. It absorbs excess moisture due to the presence of alcohol content in it that have absorbing abilities.
- Add some good amount beer in a cup of water and apply it on your hair
- Rinse it after 10-15 minutes
Vodka contains alcohol contents that have absorbing properties that ensure excess oil is eliminated together with excess moisture. It maintains the pH level of the scalp and close the scalp pores and hence control the sebum productions. This is why vodka is also considered as good greasy hair remedy.
- To 2 cups of water, add a cup of vodka
- Shampoo it as normal and the make the above mixture as your rinse
- Leave it to stay for 5-10 minutes before rinsing off using water
- Apply the procedure once a week until you get your desired result.
Good shampoos for oily hair
There are various shampoos that are in the market but getting the right one is a nightmare. Some of the ingredients in a good shampoo for oily to go for include:
- Hydrolyzed Keratin
- Polyquaternium-7 and Polyquaternium-10
- Palm oil, Jojoba oil and Olive oil among others
Too much shampooing or use of the wrong product to your hair can cost you a long-term condition with other complications more hazardous than you could imagine. Side effects of some shampoos are dreadful thus, you have no otherwise but to go for the right shampoo. Whenever you are not sure of your condition see the doctor for diagnosis. Beware, discontinue any shampoo or product that you are allergic to or that which causes irritation on application and see the doctor for guidance. Below are the top 5 varieties of the best shampoo for oily hair:
- Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo
- Pantene Purify Clarifying Therapy
- Desert Essence Organics Lemon Tea Tree Shampoo
- Lush I Love juicy regimen
- TRESemmé’ Deep Cleanser
More prevention tips
Other than remedies and medical oily hair treatments, there are simpler ways of curbing scalp oiliness condition. They include:
- Regular exercises: When you take physical exercise, more fats and oils are broken down and excreted as waste with sweat hence chances of acquiring greasy hair are minimal.
- Drinking Plenty of Water: Water is not only an essential for the body health but also for the wellness of your hair condition. It is recommended you take at least 8 cups of water per day
- Good Diet: As long as you feed your body with the right diet for its health, mind also about your hair. Avoid snacks that can cause it to be oily
- Avoid Touching it: Your hands may have come into conduct with a surface that had oil hence on touching the hair, the oil is smeared thereof rending it oily
- Don’t over-comb or over-brush: over-combing or over-brushing can lead to irritations or spread the oil to the entire scalp
Sometimes, the above home remedies and shampoos may not solve your problem. May be you have a serious medical condition or otherwise. You can therefore visit you doctor for more prescriptions. He or she may prescribe both topical and oral treatment as well as injections. These may include benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, or beta-hydroxy acid, chemical peels and laser oily hair treatments.